5 ESSENTIAL “Must Knows” For Training Puppies
These 5 “Must knows” to train your puppy can dramatically impact the long term and short term behavior of your dog. If you get these things wrong with your puppy, you are going to waste a LOT of time and money trying to fix them later:
1. Never chase your puppy. If you chase your puppy, she will pretty soon learn that running away from you gets rewarded with her favorite game: game of chase. Game of chase is far way more reinforcing than treats. If you keep running after your puppy even if it is because they’re getting in trouble you’re reinforcing the behavior of staying away from you.
2. Keep Training Sessions Short: Puppies have short attention spans, so it’s important to keep training sessions short and sweet. Aim for 10-12 minute sessions or less, several times a day.
3. Socialize your puppy with other puppies and with well behaved adult dogs. With other puppies they will learn how to play. With adult dogs they will learn boundaries and social cues.
4. Move away from your puppy so she chases you. Go to the other side of your room and get excited. If she comes reinforce with play or with food. Keep moving away from her so she learns to check in with you and stay with you.
5. Use body language and techniques to calm your puppy down to teach boundaries. Puppies who have no boundaries will struggle with socialization with both humans and dogs. Remember that a highly trained does not mean a well behaved. To learn more check this blog: Difference between behavior and Obedience
© Gabriel Riesco, Pawmos Dog Training LLC | All Rights Reserved May 2023